Maryland Blogger: Fireplace Safety 101

Fireplace Safety 101

Fireplace Safety 101

 

When is the last time you had your chimney inspected? Fireplaces can add extra heat in the winter, but if they're not properly maintained, they can also become a hazard.

The purpose of a chimney is to carry hazardous gases and smoke out of your home. If chimneys are not cleaned regularly, residue called creosote can build up inside your chimney and catch fire. When you clean your chimney and have it inspected periodically, you help ensure there is a clear pathway for gasses and heat to escape.

If you're planning on firing up the fireplace, please keep the following tips in mind to help prevent chimney fires:

Have your chimney inspected and cleaned at least once a year by a chimney professional. A chimney professional will make sure your chimney is structurally sound and will remove creosote buildup and any other debris (such as animal nests).

 Important: COOL your ashes and then CAN your ashes. Embers from fires can retain heat and reignite for days after the original fire.

Only burn dried-out wood - cardboard, trash, or other objects can burn very quickly and the flames can get out of control. Never dispose of a Christmas tree in your fireplace. Like ever.

Never (ever) use flammable liquids! You're not lighting the grill. No charcoal, no lighter fluid, no kerosene, no gasoline.

Keep your fireplace doors opened or cracked when burning a fire, as restricted air supply can cause creosote buildup.

Stay on the lookout for signs of chimney fires. Indications of chimney fires include dense smoke and a loud rumbling noise (often compared to a freight train). If you think you have a chimney fire, get everyone safely out of your home and call 911. Never attempt to fight the fire yourself.

It is important to note that some chimney fires are slow-burning and may not make loud noises or have lots of smoke. These can cause damage to your home as well and weaken the structure of your chimney.

Make sure your carbon monoxide detectors are WORKING. We're not kidding when we say that carbon monoxide is the "silent killer"and you MUST keep those carbon monoxide detectors in good shape. 

Working smoke alarms? We know - you're too smart not to have them in your home and that you test them as often as you check your phone.

Chimney fires often lead to house fires. It's important to follow safe fire-burning practices and keep regular maintenance on your chimney.

This announcement was provided by Montgomery County Fire & Rescue News & Information, Montgomery County, Maryland.

 

Image may contain: plant, flower, nature and outdoor

Sedum, Kentlands Photowalk, Gaithersburg, Maryland USA IMG 5538
Canon PowerShot G11 Camera
Photograph by Roy Kelley
Roy and Dolores Kelley Photographs

Roy and Dolores Kelley Photographs

Roy Kelley and Associates

 

Roy Kelley, Associate Broker

Realty Group Referrals (Retired from RE/MAX Realty Group)

6 Montgomery Village Ave., Suite 200

Gaithersburg, MD 20879

Main Office:  301-258-7757 (You will not reach me at this number)

Send an email message if you need my phone numbers. I will be happy to recommend a real estate professional if you are moving to the area.

Comment balloon 7 commentsRoy Kelley • November 24 2019 11:58PM

Comments

Great info. I have a double sided fireplace I can not seem to use without smoke getting into my house. Because of this we don't use it.

Posted by Adam Mitchell, We buy houses to remodel and sell (We Buy Houses Fast in Dallas) 10 days ago

Roy Kelley I've smoked up a room or two in my time...

Posted by Lauren Williams, CPO, Professional Organizer: Puget Sound homes (Casual Uncluttering LLC) 10 days ago

Good evening Roy Kelley - check on everything.  Very important.

Posted by Grant Schneider, Your Coach Helping You Create Successful Outcomes (Performance Development Strategies) 10 days ago

This is important information for those of us who have fireplaces.  We are currently having a storm moving into Sacramento.  I have family coming for Thanksgiving.  I suspect my fireplace will safely be burning that day.

Posted by Myrl Jeffcoat, Greater Sacramento Real Estate Agent (GreatWest Realty) 10 days ago

Roy,

Thank you for what can be lifesaving info for folks with fireplaces.

Posted by Michelle Cherie CarrCrowe Just Call...408-252-8900, Family Helping Families Buy & Sell Homes 40+ Years (Get Results Team...Just Call (408) 252-8900! . DRE #00901962 . Licensed to Sell since 1985 . Altas Realty) 10 days ago

Fortunately for us we do not have a fireplace but if we did i would be on top of yearly inspections and maintenance.

Posted by Bob Ratliff, "Sold with Bob" (Robert Ratliff Realty) 10 days ago

Your feedback is always welcome and is very much appreciated.

Posted by Roy Kelley (Realty Group Referrals) 9 days ago

Participate