Maryland Blogger: Candle caused Bethesda house fire

Candle caused Bethesda house fire

Candle caused Bethesda house fire

 

A recent fire at a Bradley Boulevard home in Bethesda, Maryland was caused by a lighted candle on a bedroom dresser. The two occupants escaped without injury but there was major damage in the second floor bedroom. This is a good reminder for all of us to take great care with the use of candles in our homes.

 

Follow these safety tips from the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service while using candles in the home:

  • Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to sleep.
  • Keep candles away from items that can catch fire (e.g., clothing, books, paper, curtains, Christmas trees, flammable decorations, etc.).
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, won't tip over easily, are made from a material that can't burn and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
  • Don't place lit candles in windows. Blinds and curtains can easily ignite.
  • Place candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface and do not use candles in places where they could be knocked over by children or pets.
  • Keep candles and all open flames away from flammable liquids.
  • Keep candle wicks trimmed to one-quarter inch and extinguish candles when they get to within two inches of the holder or decorative material. Votive and containers should be extinguished before the last half-inch of wax starts to melt.
  • Avoid candles with decorative items embedded in them.

 

Click on this link for more tips on candle safety.

 

Kentlands, Spring Flowers IMG_9173

Photograph by Roy Kelley using a Canon PowerShot G11 camera.

Roy and Dolores Kelley Photographs

Roy and Dolores Kelley Photographs

Roy Kelley and Associates

 

Roy Kelley, Associate Broker

Realty Group Referrals (Retired from RE/MAX Realty Group)

6 Montgomery Village Ave., Suite 200

Gaithersburg, MD 20879

Main Office:  301-258-7757 (You will not reach me at this number)

Send an email message if you need my phone numbers. I will be happy to recommend a real estate professional if you are moving to the area.

Comment balloon 15 commentsRoy Kelley • May 06 2016 07:17AM

Comments

Roy - it is so tragic that these candles cause so many fires.  People are lighting them and forgetting.

Posted by Grant Schneider, Your Coach Helping You Create Successful Outcomes (Performance Development Strategies) over 4 years ago

I still like to use candles, but like the battery operated ones with timers for safety reasons. They look so real these days and there is no mess or worry. It is always so sad to hear about fires due to something as simple as forgetting to blow out a candle. 

I like the flower photo Roy Kelley!

Posted by Libby Cousins, Contract Mortgage Processor, licensed in WA (Extraordinary Processing) over 4 years ago

Fires are serious.... and candles scare me badly ! There are now flameless candles that look pretty real. Luckily they escaped, there are many that do not.

Posted by Michele Connors, Your Eastern North Carolina Realtor (The Overton Group, LLC Pitt & Carteret County) over 4 years ago

Roy, great reminders, as candles can be dangerous!   It is scary when I hear my sellers have lit a candle for showings, then left the house!  

Posted by Joan Cox, Denver Real Estate - Selling One Home at a Time (House to Home, Inc. - Denver Real Estate - 720-231-6373) over 4 years ago

Roy, No question as candles are dangerous in any home. These are excellent safety tips issued by the Fire Department. 

Posted by Robert Bob Gilbert, Your Katy TX ( West of Houston) Real Estate Expert (Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Anderson Properties) over 4 years ago

Roy,

 We only use Yankee Candles and I keep the wick trimmed. Good reminder for us all!

Posted by Yolanda Cordova-Gilbert over 4 years ago

Candled left unattended and forgotten can get into a whole lot of mischief.

Posted by Myrl Jeffcoat, Greater Sacramento Real Estate Agent (GreatWest Realty) over 4 years ago

Hi Roy Kelley , This is a great message to share.  Your photo is awesome.  I have never seen a flower like tha before.

Posted by Larry Johnston, Broker,Friends & Neighbors Real Estate, Elkhart,IN (Broker, Friends & Neighbors Real Estate and Elkhart County Subdivisions, LLC) over 4 years ago

Good morning Roy. Candles cause to many fires, not sure if it is laziness or just being careless. You shared some very good advice.

Posted by Joe Petrowsky, Your Mortgage Consultant for Life (Mortgage Consultant, Right Trac Financial Group, Inc. NMLS # 2709) over 4 years ago

Thank you very much for your comments. It is always good to hear from you.

Posted by Roy Kelley (Realty Group Referrals) over 4 years ago

Thank you for sharing these great tips. I learned a few things from this post.

Posted by Gita Bantwal, REALTOR,ABR,CRS,SRES,GRI - Bucks County & Philadel (RE/MAX Centre Realtors) over 4 years ago

A reminder that we all have to be vigiliant and smart with candles

Posted by Kristin Johnston - REALTOR®, Giving Back With Each Home Sold! (RE/MAX Realty Center ) over 4 years ago

I rarely burn candles anymore because I am afraid I will forget about them. These are good tips to remember.

Posted by Debbie Reynolds, Your Dedicated Clarksville TN Real Estate Agent (Platinum Properties) over 4 years ago

Your comments and your continued support are very much appreciated.

Posted by Roy Kelley (Realty Group Referrals) over 4 years ago

We expect some more spring showers in Kentlands today. Have a great day and a very productive week.

Posted by Roy Kelley (Realty Group Referrals) over 4 years ago

Participate