Misplaced Fireplace Ashes Caused House Fire
Approximately fifty firefighters responded to a recent home fire in Montgomery County, Maryland. One adult and two children were displaced as a result of the damage to the home.
The cause of the fire appears to be misplaced fireplace ashes in a combustible container on the back deck. Damage to the home and contents is estimated to be approximately $300,000.
The Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service provided the following advisory for area residents:
Please make sure you understand how to properly dispose of fireplace ashes as many people are unaware of the danger ashes can create.
Fireplace and wood-stove ashes retain enough heat to ignite other combustible materials for several days after a fire. It is important to learn the following ways to dispose of fireplace and wood-stove ashes properly:
- DO NOT discard your ashes into any combustible container like a paper or plastic bag, a cardboard box, or a plastic trash can.
- DO put ashes into a non-combustible metal container with a lid.
- DO pour water into the container to make sure the ashes are cool.
- DO keep your can OUTSIDE the home, away from combustibles.
- DO teach all family members to be safe with ashes from your fireplace or wood stove.
As always, please make sure you test your smoke alarms monthly and replace batteries twice a year. Practice and plan a family home escape plan.
Winter Colors, Kentlands Photowalk, Gaithersburg, Maryland USA IMG 9856
Canon PowerShot G11 Camera
Photograph by Roy Kelley
Roy and Dolores Kelley Photograph
Roy and Dolores Kelley Photographs
Roy Kelley and Associates
Roy Kelley, Associate Broker
Realty Group Referrals (Retired from RE/MAX Realty Group)
6 Montgomery Village Ave., Suite 200
Gaithersburg, MD 20879
Main Office: 301-258-7757 (You will not reach me at this number)
Send an email message if you need my phone numbers. I will be happy to recommend a real estate professional if you are moving to the area.